Tribute to Prof. & Mrs. Peter Maidoki of UniAbuja

The University of Abuja community was thrown into a bewildering state of an uncontrollable painful mourning on Saturday, May 29, 2021, following the news of the sudden and tragic death of Prof. & Mrs. Peter B. Maidoki. This heartbreaking fatal motor accident occurred along the Abuja-Kaduna highway. The news was received among his colleagues with disbelieving ears, loud shouts and with other expressive reactions such as the devil is a liar, Oh my God, shame unto the devil, etc. Again, these spontaneous reactions were followed by squeezed, clutched and angry countenances among his colleagues in the Department of Public Administration, Faculty of Management Sciences, and in the larger university community.

Saturday May 29, 2021 everyone would recall, was a special day for different groups of people in some respects but particularly for those in the sports and political spheres of life. In Nigeria’s political scene for example, it was a day marking the 6th anniversary of the Buhari administration which was inaugurated on May 29, 2015. Prior to the Buhari administration, that date was celebrated as Nigeria’s Democracy Day to mark the return to democratic governance in 1999 – a celebration which has now been moved to June 12 of every year by President Muhammadu Buhari.

That Saturday again, we would all recall, was a special day for millions of sports-loving people across the globe as Chelsea and Manchester City were under serious tension waiting for the kick-off time of the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) Champions League Final at Porto, Portugal. So in both sports and political circles, Saturday 29 May 2021 was a day to remember for a long time. This was the background of the ambience of this supposedly exciting day for many when the news of the death of Prof. Maidoki and his wife came as a bombshell. The sad news suddenly changed the prevailing mood of the day into a very gloomy one. That day would no doubt be remembered for many years to come by their children, relations, colleagues, friends and neighbours, than the remarkable things that happened in politics and sports that same day.

But how did this puzzling, disconcerting and horrifying accident happen? Prof. Peter Maidoki and wife along with one of his brothers were returning from a burial that took place in their country home, in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State that Saturday when the accident happened. The accident we were told occurred when his car and one of these ever-present and ‘terrorizing long vehicles’on our roads, had a fatal contact along the now notorious Abuja-Kaduna expressway. Again, as we were meant to understand, the scene of the fatal accident was unbelievably frightening to tell you how these ‘terrorizing’ vehicles are daily cutting many lives of productive minds short on our roads.

Prof. Maidoki was full of life during the week of his death. We personally met along the corridor earlier in the week in an encounter that was characterized by our usual jokes, followed by uncontrollably loud and contagious laughter on both sides. For both of us, we had common way of greeting that would instantaneously generate entertaining jokes and hilarious mood enough to banish any threat of work-related stress in either of us. As the current Head of Department of Public Administration Associate Professor Tafida Ahmed also recounted, Prof. Maidoki was on Campus on Friday evening May 28, 2021to deliver his lecture in one of the professional postgraduate degree programmes of the Department. Dr. Tafidaeloquently narrated, his meeting Prof. Maidoki in the presence of Prof. Abdulhamid Sulaiman-Ozoho that Friday, was equally characterized by Prof. Maidoki’s usual ‘tension-releasing’ jokes and loud hilarious laughter. Prof. Maidoki’s usual greeting pattern marketed him well as a friend of all without any noticeable distinction.

Prof. Maidoki’s death would therefore be a great loss to the Department of Public Administration which he joined as one of its foundation staff. He later served the Department as its Head from 2007 to 2009. The Department which was established in 1992 has had Prof. Victor Ekhator, Dr. Babayo Musa, Dr. Kuna Mohammed and Prof. James Ojobo as Heads of Department, before Prof. Maidoki became the Head in 2007.

At the Faculty level, Prof. Maidoki served as the Dean of the Faculty of Management Sciences. He completed his term before the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in 2020. And again at the university-wide level, Prof. Maidoki served as the Director of Entrepreneurship Development Studies under the Vice-Chancellorship of Prof. J. S. Adelabu.

Death has been very unkind to my Department lately as its cold hand took away Associate Professor Isa Mohamed last year 2020 during the period of COVID-19 nation-wide lockdown.Dr. Isa who succeeded Maidoki as HOD (2009-2011) had meritoriously served the Gombe State Government as Honourable Commissioner for Higher Education and had joined back the Department before his death. At the time of his untimely death, Dr. Isa had been successfully assessed internally for his full professorship and was waiting for the completion of his external assessment process. He too like Prof. Maidoki was one of the foundation staff of the Department.

The entire university community will badly miss the sudden departure of Prof. Peter B. Maidoki who had served it for close to three decades. The entire residents of the Giri Staff Quarters will painfully miss one of the couples whose presence over the years helped to keep the community in a hilarious mood. The staff of the Faculty of Management Sciences will greatly miss the ever-functional presence of one of its past Deans. But the worst hit, are no doubt the staff and students of the Department of Public Administration who will be painfully deprived of the steady, functional and vivacious services of Prof. Peter Maidoki. One could only imagine the great sense of loss which would be felt by many undergraduate and postgraduate students he was supervising prior to his death. The same goes for the final year students who took his Course in the just-completed second-semester examinations

At a personal level, the death of Prof. Maidoki is a great loss to me. As one of my close office neighbours, his office is not only next to mine but its nearness added great value in good inter-personal relations. Again, the death of prof. Maidoki whose office is directly opposite to that Dr. Isa Mohammed (who died earlier)would naturally generate anxiety, particularly for those of us whose offices are close to theirs. We can, however, take solace in the Scriptural passage that assures us of tomorrow simply because He (our Redeemer) lives. Yes because He lives, all the children of Prof. & Mrs. Maidoki can confidently face tomorrow.This is everyone’s fervent and humble prayers for all the children.

Lastly, according to the burial arrangements (circulated by the UniAbuja Christian Community), there would be a Wake Keep for Prof. Maidoki and his beloved wife at their residence in the University Staff Quarters, Giri on Thursday, June 3, 2021 at 4pm. The Burial of the couple will take place on Friday, June 4, 2021 in their home town Kwagiri, in Kachia LGA of Kaduna State.

On behalf of my colleagues particularly the current Acting Dean of the Faculty of Management Sciences, Prof. Y. M. Salaudeen and the entire members of the Department and Faculty, my sincere condolences go to the entire family of Prof. & Mrs. Peter B. Maidoki. May their gentle souls rest in perfect peace– Amen.

Prof. Isaac N. Obasi of the Department of Public Administration, University of Abuja, is a Visiting (Adjunct) Research Professor at the Anti-Corruption Academy of Nigeria, ICPC, Abuja, Email: nnamdizik@gmail.com

Recent Comments (52)

1. Wole June 2, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Adieu Prof and Mrs Maidoki,the department of public administration in particular and the university of Abuja community generally will miss the departed souls.
    The Lord will comfort the family they left behind and give them the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

2. Uche Onyx Ekwugha June 2, 2021 at 11:07 pm

This is indeed a great loss to all and sundry.

Rest in Peace Prof.

3. Agbaje Ismail June 2, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Hmmm…we can’t just cheat nature, if can, we would have rewind that very day and ask him not to travel but only God knows what we don’t know…At this period, we just need to cry unto thy Lord to give the family the fortitude to bear the lost and grant him and his wife a place in paradise..We are enjoying those guiding futuristic notes from this great personality but the death say NO MORE..God loves you more than us…. Corrupt people are outside there waving their stained Agbada up and down but the death prefer to dried up the ocean that we are tapping wisdom and knowledge from…Who are we to question God…but the pains still there forever..Rest on Prof & Mrs Peter Maidoki.
    M.Sc”20 Class Rep.

4. Wisdom June 2, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Oh My dear beloved lecturer, He was currently the supervisor of my friend’s project.
    May God supplies the family the heartitude, grace and fortitude to bear such a great loss.
    Live on till we live to part no more.
    Prof. & Mrs. P.B Maidoki.

5. UjahChris June 2, 2021 at 11:25 pm

May his gentle soul Rest In Peace

6. Tukur Mohammad A. June 2, 2021 at 11:49 pm

May their departed souls rest in peace and God gives the family and his Department and entiire University of Abuja community fortitude bear the loss.

7. Abike June 2, 2021 at 11:57 pm

May his soul rest in peace, I was really looking forward to him lecturing me this coming semester.

8. Busari kazeem June 3, 2021 at 4:28 am

Thanks so much prof. Obasi for this heartfelt condolences. We are going to miss Prof. Maidoki. He is father figure for us all.
    My condolences to the Family.

9. Gift Eribo June 3, 2021 at 4:47 am

This is a sad news. His demise is indeed a great loss to the department of Public Administration, University of Abuja.
    He had greatly impacted knowledge into most people of which I am part of. During my undergraduate programme in the University, I was privileged to be lectured by him on the course Public Enterprise…I still remember in one of our meetings with him, how he expressed his dislikes for some of the food we eat today; pastas and noodles to be precised given that they are tasteless foods and the class laughed over it.
    Before this heartbreaking incident, I saw him on Tuesday of that week, he was full of life, I never knew that would be the last time I would see him.
    My condolences to their beloved family, I can only imagine how painful it is to loose both parent at the same time. May the good Lord comfort you, the department of Public Administration, the Faculty of Mgt. Science and the entire community of the University of Abuja.

Rest in perfect peace, Prof. & Mrs. Peter Maidoki.

10. Abdulkareem Kuriyetu Hauwa June 3, 2021 at 5:01 am

May the soul of our Professor and his dear wife be granted eternal rest. May God forgive all their shortcomings

11. Andrew Babatunde June 3, 2021 at 5:10 am

May your soul and that of your wife continue to rest in peace

12. Njoku Ifeoma June 3, 2021 at 5:57 am

It is really a sad news. We can not question God because he is all knowing. May God console his children and the school the best way possible and grant us the fortitude to bear this irreplaceable lost. May their gentle soul rest in perfect peace.

13. Umoru sule fadilat June 3, 2021 at 6:28 am

If i could change the hands of time i would
    But now everything still seems like a dream to me,, i pray God grant you both eternal rest.
    Adieu Mr and mrs maidoki
    We meet to part no more

14. Gambari Ahmed June 3, 2021 at 6:32 am

In fact, all I know with the little time we meet, is a god fearing person, he humble him self @ all time, even do a day to his departure i meet him after the class @ about 6pm or so to sign my project he did it within 2min without any comments or the other. I pray to god to the family a fortitude to bear the lost RIP Prof. Maidoki

15. Esty Yoh June 3, 2021 at 6:49 am

So so sad.
    May the gentle soul of prof. Maidoki and his wife Rest In Peace. May God comfort the children and the entire family members they left behind.

16. Okoanegbete Itua J June 3, 2021 at 7:06 am

Hmmm… May God grant
    their beautiful souls eternal rest!
    It is well.

17. MUSA HAMIDAT OHUNENE June 3, 2021 at 7:21 am

Amen

18. SMITH OMOBOLANLE O. June 3, 2021 at 7:41 am

He was a good man, he was my project supervisor during my PGDA program.i will miss him for his good advise to me when I lost my husband last year he talk to me as a father and brother. My Prof we love you but God love u more. Rest on

19. Usenide Ime June 3, 2021 at 8:01 am

May his soul rest in peace. Amen.

20. Kayode Busayo Mary (student-MPA) June 3, 2021 at 8:02 am

What can I say, I’m saddened, though death is inevitable but this one came as a rude shock.
    May God of the orphans send help to Prof. & Mrs Peter Maidoki’s children.
    May God also grant the spirit of the departed couple an eternal rest. Amen

21. Toyin Ogunsina-Osaje June 3, 2021 at 8:26 am

Such a sad news! May their souls rest in peace and may the Almighty grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss. Amen.

22. OWAN, Cyril Pius June 3, 2021 at 8:40 am

It was pathetic and painful to hear the sad news of the death of Professor MAIDOKI and his lovely wife in that ghastly car accident. He was a rare gentleman that preaches peace and love to all that came his way, the family, the university community and all those he modeled will surely miss a wonderful man in him. May God forgive his shortcomings and grant their souls eternal rest through Christ our Lord, amen

23. Joseph Michael ogar June 3, 2021 at 8:42 am

This is tragic… a big loss to the great Department of Public Administration… Prof. Was my Project supervisor in my undergraduate days and was also my coordinator in my post graduate days as well. May the good lord grant his soul and that of his beloved wife eternal rest and also comfort their children and their entire family.

24. OWAN, Cyril Pius June 3, 2021 at 8:45 am

Pathetic and unfortunate development, it’s so painful to the marrow. May God forgive their shortcomings and grant their souls eternal rest through Christ our Lord amen

25. Ejeh scholarstica sarah June 3, 2021 at 8:46 am

May the soul of prof. and Mrs Peter Maidoki rest in perfect peace through the mercy of God. Amen.

26. FASHI SIMON PIUS June 3, 2021 at 8:52 am

Hmmmmmmmm
    What more can I say?!
    I can vividly remember his last statement after lecture on Friday, with a brilliant smile on his face, he said “I love you all” and by the next day, I was shoked to my marrows with fear upon hearing the sad news of his sudden death…and his last word kept resounding as though he was right in front of me…
    The confidence for me is, to live is Christ and to die is gain-Philippians 1:21
    May the Spirit of God comfort his family, us his students and the entire University of Abuja Community…

27. Bernice June 3, 2021 at 8:53 am

GREAT HERO OF OUR TIME! Is a huge loss to us all in the department and the university community at large. May their souls continue to rest in peace. My condolences!

28. Ayeni Rachael Olubunmi June 3, 2021 at 8:54 am

I extend my deepest sympathies to the family of Prof. & Mrs. Peter B. Maidoki, the children in particular and all the University of Abuja Community. May the Lord strengthen and console everyone during this difficult time in Jesus name. May the departed souls rest in peace. Amen

29. MUSA ALBERT EDWARD A.K.A PRINZ TALKER June 3, 2021 at 9:28 am

REST ON HERO, WE YOUR STUDENT OF 18/19 LOVE YOU BUT WE KNOW GOD LOVES YOU MORE AND YOU AND MUMMY ARE SURE RESTING IN THE BOSSOM OF THE LORD…. REST ON HERO

30. Emmanuel Nwanneh June 3, 2021 at 9:40 am

Too bad we lost some one like him. He was my lecturer at a time and a good and highly intelligent one at that. Prof we will miss you. Rest in peace.

31. Ukwenya Emmanuel June 3, 2021 at 9:49 am

Prof. You came, saw and conquered, you lived a life of fulfilment, although, your departure was was a painful one but who are we to question God.

I pray that God in his infinite mercy protect, guide and bless your loved ones you left behind and may your souls find eternal rest in his heavenly kingdom.

Adieu

32. Adache manic June 3, 2021 at 10:05 am

This is indeed a heavy loss to the Department of Public Administration.

May his soul and that of his wife Rest In Peace

33. Joseph samson Ikoh June 3, 2021 at 10:27 am

Professor Maidoki of blessed memory, he was cool headed personality, humble to the core and excellent inside. Until his death. I served as a class rep to PhD students offering his course international administration. That made me to call him on daily basis to schedule and rescheduled time for his lectures. The last lectures we had with was on Thursday last week. We discussed as father and children. He personally acknowledged the beautiful lecture we had that day and encourages each and every one of us to be serious. He brought the lecture to an end when one Mr Wilson ( student) told Prof that he has two seminar papers to write that day. As a listening Prof, he postponed the lecture to the following week for Wilson to go about his papers. U are a father, loving father. Life is not do or die affair with u. U are not jealous of ur students becoming like u. U are full of love. My heart bleed because we suppose to have ur lecture today and u told us last to meet today little did I know today will be ur wake keep. The Lord grant u everlasting peace.

34. Nwankwo Godwin June 3, 2021 at 10:38 am

May their souls rest in peace

35. Delotoboy Eze Desmond June 3, 2021 at 10:52 am

Very pathetic and sad news, May their souls rest in peace Amen

36. Amos A. Kayit June 3, 2021 at 11:00 am

Late Prof. & Mrs Peter Maidoki doesn’t deserve such an impromptu unreturnable journey. May God comfort most especially the kids left behind, also to bless and preserve them to continue from where their lovely parents stopped. My deepest heartfelt sympathy to all; Rest on mum and Dad till we meet to depart no more.

37. Naseer June 3, 2021 at 11:27 am

So sad that prof is no more

38. Tessy June 3, 2021 at 11:48 am

Hhhhhhh Oh death! Where is thy sting, grave where is thy victory!

Prof. was the first lecturer I encountered as an MPA student with the UNIAbUJA this year 2021. I entered his class late, my very first class but he was calm and welcoming which really made me feel welcomed to the school and the program.

Because of his disposition, I concluded after the class that i have met my project supervisor. Who then will fill this position?

I can’t question God, He has called him at his appointed time.

I pray May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed through the Mercy of God Rest in Peace. Amen

39. Edward N. Abba June 3, 2021 at 12:51 pm

It is indeed a huge loss to man kind, the University of Abuja and the department of Public Administration. May their souls find peace eternally.

40. Akpojevwa Josephine Voke June 3, 2021 at 12:59 pm

what a great loss to the Department of public Administration and the entire University of Abuja. May his soul and that of his wife rest in perfect peace, Amen!!! We love u sir but the Almighty God loves u most. Rest on!!.

41. Barthlomew Obiora June 3, 2021 at 2:02 pm

It’s indeed difficult to believe that a very good friend and master is no more! Prof P.B. Maidoki until his demise was ever good to me. We had known ourselves for over a decade and have worked together for our collective good. Prof had always invited me to be part of several seminars and workshops. How could I have known that our visit to NOUN Jabi office, three days before his demise will be our last meeting! … As I try to console myself, I pray God Almighty give the children the strength to face tomorrow.
    We love you but God knows the best.

Adieu Prof P.B.Maidoki!!!

42. Jeremiah Ukanwa June 3, 2021 at 2:05 pm

What a great loss….May their soul rest in peace. Amen

43. Olugbemi Comfort June 3, 2021 at 3:34 pm

Prof. Maidoki’ s demise came as a shock to me. I was on my way to school on Saturday evening when I received the mail about his death and that of his wife. I kept screaming “Jesus” another part of me was saying this cannot be true as I kept recalling all our conversation. Prof. Was a very time conscious person, no matter how I tried getting to class early he will always get to class before me even when its some minutes to the lecture time. I couldn’t but marvel at his level of commitment to work. Majority of the student always look forward to his class days in other to learn and crack us up…(each lecture day with prof is still ringing in my head). We are all still in shock and disbelief that your are no more but we can only find our solace in Christ Jesus and accept the fact that death is a price everyone has to pay. You’ll be grately missed by all but we pray his soul and that of his wife finds eternal rest and God will grant Us the mind to bear the loss.

Adieu Prof. Maidoki !

44. Kamil Shoretire June 3, 2021 at 6:01 pm

May their gentle souls rest in Peace. This is tragic for the University at this time.

45. Maryam Olaiya Mohammed June 3, 2021 at 6:09 pm

To God Almighty, the Maker of Heaven and Earth, the Doer of all things, both great and small, both beautiful and ugly, both good and not so good be all the glory for the life of our Beloved Professor and Father. Not because we do not have the right to grief in this moment of sorrow but because the grace of God is sufficient for us to yield to His will of God. For we know it is the Will of God for Prof and Mrs Maidoki to be call home at this time. May God grant them eternal rest and comfort the entire family, University of Abuja, Public Administration department the grace to bear this irreparable lost!
    MPA Performance Measurement and Management Class.

46. Comrade Ezekiel A. David June 3, 2021 at 6:22 pm

My lecturer and Brother, Prof. Peter Maidoki. I can’t still believed that you left me. I recall when I call you on phone last week Friday and you came down to attend to your students. I was actually sitting next to you not knowing that we were sharing knowledge for the last time. Though death is inevitable, it is a journey that everyone must take. Often times we wish death wasn’t a part of life. We wish we would just stay alive on earth with our near and dear ones not dying. But unfortunately, we cannot. Our prayer is that we fulfill our days on earth and grow old before our time is up. We also pray that your soul and Mummy soul will rest in peace and may the Almighty God keep you safe resting in perfect peace till resurrection day Amen. ADIEU my lovely Lecturer.

47. Terence Terrumun Acka June 3, 2021 at 6:27 pm

Dear Professor Peter B. Maidoki, my teacher and friend. As I reel in shock and disbelief at your passage, together with your beloveth wife, I can’t help but reflect on that classic sonnet of John Donner (1572-1631).

” Death, be not proud, thou some
    have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for thou are
    not so;
    For those whom thou think’st thou
    dost overthrow
    Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst
    thou kill.
    From rest and sleep, which but thy picture be,
    Much pleasure; then from thee
    much more must flow,
    And soonest our best men with
    thee do go,
    Rest of their bones, and souls
    delivery
    Thou’art slave to fate, chance
    kings, and desperate men,
    And dost with poison, war and
    sickness dwell,
    And poppy’or charms can make us
    sleep as well
    And better than thy stroke; why
    swell’st thou then?
    One short sleep past, we wake
    eternally,
    And death shall be no more;
    Death, thou shalt die. “

Adieu Sir and your dear wife , may your souls find rest with the creator.

Terence Acka, Esq.,
    MPA 2019/20

48. Oladekojo Taiye June 3, 2021 at 10:12 pm

So sad. The few opportunity I had with you sir was a blessing. Rest in Peace

49. Lawal Adewale Ayuba June 3, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Rest on my Prof, the man who impacted knowledge of international Relations on me, you will forever remain in our heart,,

50. Usman Yakubu, Federal University Lokoja June 4, 2021 at 7:46 am

Prof Maidoki, a Great Hero, a Mentor and a friend to all. He never envy any one, he leaved a free life, he never discriminate against any one, whether muslim or christian.

Prof. I recalled how you called me on Friday, May 28, 2021 in the afternoon, before your tragic death on Saturday, May 29, 2021. As usual, and in your characteristics, as I returned your call, the usual start of our conversation, “Registrar, kafara Is kanci ko”? Meaning, “you have started your trouble” I said responded to you, Prof. No Sir. and as usual you asked about my family and I now asked further, Prof, any problem? You then told me no, but just to find out how we were doing” and our short conversation continued. I never had any premonition that Prof was just indirectly telling me bye bye to this sinful world.

Well, death is a supreme sacrifice that all of us must pay one day. May your gentle soul RIP, Amen.

51. Adeyefa Omobola June 8, 2021 at 5:39 am

This is a huge loss to the University of Abuja Community and all the students he taught when he was alive. But we take solace in God Almighty and the word of God that says: *In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible and we shall be changed (1st Corinthians 15:52)* As a believer in Christ Jesus, we know that *all the true child of God in Christ Jesus who died will rise up on resurrection day* Prof. & Mrs Peter Maidoki, continue to rest at the bosom of your creature till resurrection day. May God Almighty protect all the family you left behind in Jesus Mighty name Amen.

52. Abibang Alice June 8, 2021 at 10:16 am

So hard to believe you left us just a day after you had lecture with us. Adieu my Lecturer and former Dean. May your soul, the soul of your beloved wife and the soul of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen