Tinubu Visits Sanwo-Olu, Says I Didn’t Go Nowhere, I’m Still Jagaban

214 views | Stanley Ugagbe | October 25, 2020

National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Asiwaju Bola Tinubu on Saturday, visited the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu to commiserate with him over the mammoth destruction properties and killings that resulted from the two-week-long #EndSARS protest.

Recall that the nationwide protest took a different turn on Tuesday when personnel of the Nigerian Army ambushed and shot at peaceful protesters at Lekki tollgate in Lagos State, killing scores and fatally injuring many others. The Nigerian army denied involvement in the dastard act which the Lagos State governor claimed there was no killing. In view of the act, violence erupted in the public, resulting in killings and mass demolitions of properties.

The APC leader, Tinubu, who denied involvement in the Lekki killings was said to have fled the nation for safety. But on Saturday, he denied ever leaving the shores of Nigeria.

Speaking to journalists at the State House, Marina, Asiwaju Tinubu, who was accompanied by his son, Seyi said the “looting, carnage, burning and invasion of police stations and stealing of arms and maiming the innocents “is handshake beyond the elbow.”

On the shootings, Tinubu said: “We have to separate those who suffered brutality in the hands of some SARS officers before the protests from those who suffered casualties due to shootings at the Toll Gate. For those who suffered from SARS, they should approach the Judicial Panel of Inquiry and present their case to the panel.”

“The panel is independent and I trust the calibre and character of the people there.”

Making reference to Sanwo-Olu’s handling of the protest before the curfew, Tinubu said the Governor did what he should have done under the circumstance. He added that Sanwo-Olu, whom he described as youth-friendly, listened to the protesters and took their demands to the President in Abuja.

“He (Sanwo-Olu) quickly went to Abuja with the five for five and the government immediately went into action.”

“We saw on television that he delivered the message to Mr. President. The President didn’t say no. The President gave him an appointment within a few hours. That is responsive enough for people to go to town but where we are we getting the looting, the carnage, the burning and invasion of our Police stations and stealing of arms and maiming the innocent. It is handshake beyond the elbow,” he said.

Responding to the report that he flew out of the country immediately after the Lekki crisis, Tinubu said: “I didn’t go nowhere; I am a Lagosian. And I still hold the title of Asiwaju of Lagos State and I am still the Jagaban. Whatever they think; fake news is all over the place. They said my son, Seyi was kidnapped. He is here (Tinubu pointed at his son). It is all a joke.”

He urged Lagosians to embrace peace and set about healing the wounds inflicted by the violence.

Leave a Comment