Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra state on Saturday, granted unconditional release to three detainees being held at the defunct Special Anti Robbery Squad, SARS office in Akwuzu.
Governor Obiano granted the detainees bail, during his visit to all the SARS facilities in the state, to ensure that they comply with the directive given to them.
Obiano had on Thursday while addressing protesters in Awka, promised to visit the defunct SARS offices and release persons detained there for no just reason.
Speaking on Saturday Governor Obiano said he was serious when he made the promises to the protesting youths and the visit was to ensure that the protests come to an end.
“This is in line with the promise I made to the youths. We have sacked the former SARS OC, James Nwafor and today, I am visiting this SARS facility. I have also set up a Panel of Inquiry which will be inaugurated on Monday, to look into the demands of Anambra youth and the ENDSARS protesters. This panel will receive open petitions from the public.
It is important to note that all the points you raised about 7 of them, have been addressed and I, therefore, appeal to the youths to leave the roads so that economic activities will return to normally please,” he pleaded.
The governor assured Anambra people that his government will not relent in ensuring the protection of lives and property.
Obiano also used the opportunity to call on men of the Nigeria police not to relent in the discharge of their statutory responsibilities in line with the extant laws.
“I want to sincerely appeal to our policemen not to be disillusioned by the events of the past few days. I noticed that somehow, our policemen no longer wear their uniforms. I know very well that many policemen in the state are dedicated to their duties and that is why we remain the safest state in Nigeria. Therefore I want to encourage you to see this as a motivation to continue to discharge your duties professionally. Rooting out the bad eggs in the Police Force will only make the Force better for the good guys. Be rest assured that my administration will always support you to be at your best in what you do,” he maintained.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr John Abang, said that they have released all detainees in the SARS custody, while the SARS offices had been handed over to the state CID.
“We have converted this facility to state CID. All suspects kept here, about 38 of them, are in for serious offences but particularly non-bailable like armed robbery. Why they are still here is because the Onitsha Prison does not accept prisoners during weekends and by Tuesday, they will be moved to Onitsha Correctional Centre. Those that are not in for serious offences have been screened and will be released unconditionally to a reliable surety, according to the directives of the governor,” he said.
It was gathered that the some of the released persons, Chinedu Aniege and Chibuike Ezejiofor both from Enugu state, were arrested and detained in the facility based on unfounded allegations against them while another person, Steven John from Plateau state was illegally arrested for no reason.
A youth leader Mr Alex Osaka expressed appreciation to the governor for listening to the cries of the people and keeping to his promises to the protesting youths.