249 views | Akanimo Sampson | September 28, 2020
The organised labour has saved Nigeria from a break-up by calling off its planned strike after reaching an agreement with the Federal Government.
A Christian prophet in Imo State, Godfrey Gbujie, had expressed fears that the now shelved strike action by labour over electricity tariff and fuel price hike will ignite a revolution that will see to the disintegration of Nigeria.
The cleric told reporters on Sunday in Owerri, the Imo State capital that Nigeria may be plunged into an unprecedented revolution that may lead to a national conflict before the end of the 2020 rainy season.
Gbujie said: “Ministerial notice is hereby given to the presidency, government, rulers and people of Nigeria that, the divinely decreed, punitive ‘Second Nigerian Revolutionary Civil War’ will unfailingly explode on the nation before the end of the rainy season of the year 2020 A.D.”
While noting that the first opposition force that will unsettle the Federal Government will proceed from Northern Nigeria before another from Southern Nigeria will emerge, the prophet pointed out that the activities of the opposition forces will degenerate into an armed conflict that will ultimately weaken the centre thereby paving the way for an Interim National Government (ING).
“The ING will convene a National Peace Conference at which the Yoruba nation, the pro-Biafra agitators shall negotiate and secure their national political independence”, he says, adding that Abuja has been notified of what may play out if it does not do the needful.
However, Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, announced on Facebook at 3am that the electricity tariff had been reversed albeit temporarily while the deregulation of the oil sector was retained.
“Federal Government and labour reach agreement at 2:53am. Deregulation to stay as government rolls out palliatives for labour. Electricity tariffs suspended by government for two weeks with a joint committee headed by Keyamo to examine the justification for the new policy. Strike suspended”, Keyamo stated.
President of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Quadri Olaleye, confirmed the development on Monday morning, saying ‘’we signed a document to suspend the action for two weeks for the government to implement those things that we agreed in the agreement. So, we are suspending for two weeks.
“We don’t need a notice again to re-convene if there is a need to do that.”