INEC Debunks Rumours Of 95% Of Its Adhoc Staff For Anambra Election Resigning

Contrary to the rumours making the rounds that 95 percent of the ad-hoc staff for the November 6 Anambra Governorship election has resigned, the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC in Anambra on Tuesday, said training of ad-hoc workers for the election is on course.

Earlier this week, news emerged that 95 percent of the Adhoc staff to be used by INEC for the exercise have tendered their resignation.

TNC correspondent in Anambra who spoke to some of them in Awka, reports that they confirmed that they are pulling out of the process.

One of the workers who agreed to speak, Victor Offor, revealed that they are backing down from the exercise over fears of insecurity due to a circular by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, calling for sit-at-home from Friday 5th to 10th of November.

According to him, the mentality of politicians in the state that politics is a do-or-die affair, is also a pointer to the fact that the exercise may witness violence.

“During one of the training they held for us, INEC told us that although security will be at the polling units, we should know that we are our own security and must do all we can to stay safe.

“That is not the assurance we were expecting considering the level of insecurity that we are witnessing in the state.

“We have seen killings rise astronomically in the past days and there appears to be nothing done to stop them,” he noted.

Also speaking, another adhoc staff, Chinemerem Oguchi said he has plans to travel days before the exercise to stay safe.

Oguchi who noted that he had always worked as adhoc staff for INEC in past elections in the state, pointed out that the state has not witnessed the kind of turbulence it is experiencing now in terms of insecurity.

Confirming that he has resigned from the process, Oguchi expressed fear that it will not be safe to carry out the activity.

But when contacted, the Anambra INEC Head of Voter Education and Publicity, Mr Samuel Nimem, failed to confirm the pullout, saying the recruitment process is still ongoing.

He however observed that some of the workers have failed to turn up for the training exercise on many occasions.

Nimem maintained that the INEC will find a way around the development peradventure it has such situation on its hands, restating their commitment towards the smooth conduct of the November 6 election in Anambra.

“Recall that we have had these kinds of situations in the past and we have been able to surmount the challenges.

“This won’t be an exception.
“We are committed to conducting a smooth election in Anambra, come November 6 and we encourage the people to come out and participate,” he appealed.

Exit mobile version