COVID-19: Atiku Abubakar clears air on son’s recent itinerary

420 views | Victor Gai | March 24, 2020

Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar, has come out with facts surrounding his son’s movements since he returned to the country and up till when he was diagnosed positive to the Coronavirus.                                                                                                                                                                                                                      According to a press statement signed by Mike Ibe, Media Adviser to the former Vice President, it became necessary “for the purpose of putting the records straight and dispelling false narratives about the itinerary of a son of former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar currently undergoing treatment for Corona Virus (COVID-19) infection”.

He therefore made 10 clarifications as follows: The clinical case returned to the country on 17th March via Switzerland from some business engagements in France and Switzerland. He attended a private meeting of six (6) persons same day in Lagos, stayed in his private house for the night and took an Aero 5.20pm flight to Abuja on the 18th. The case did not travel with his family or any other but travelled alone by Emirates Airline. The case wore face mask as a precautionary measure since his arrival in Nigeria. The case did not show symptoms of infection and voluntarily placed a call to NCDC on arrival in Abuja late on the 18th to inform them he had returned from COVID-19 prone country and desired to be tested.

Others are that: On the 19th, NCDC took his blood sample which result came positive on the 20th. He subsequently went into self-isolation to protect his family within his own house. His son has since tested negative while his wife’s result is being awaited. The two persons are currently in self-isolation.

He added that “we urge members of the public to disregard the perfidious information that the case accessed open locations. He was not at Play Lounge or any other club in Abuja as being mischievously bandied about. The case neither attended the Friday Jumu’a prayers nor any social gathering until his evacuation to Gwagwalada Specialist Hospital on the 20th where he is being treated and managed.

“We thank Nigerians for their prayers and support through this difficult time. Once again, it needs to be restated that the risk and danger of #COVID19 is real. Ensure you follow the World Health Organization and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) guidelines on how to stay safe”.



Leave a Comment