A 65-year-old woman, Obiageli Ezeuboaja and her 12-year-old houseboy, one Chikamso have allegedly died in Ekwulobia in Aguata LGA of Anambra State, as a result of smoke from a charcoal fire they set to warm their room due to cold.
The deaths were discovered by the husband of the woman, one Bernard Ezeuboaja of Umuchiana village, Ekwulobia, in the early hours of Wednesday, the Public Relations Officer of the Police in Anambra State, Haruna Mohammed said.
The PPRO said the incident was reported by Mr Bernard, prompting the Police to take action.
“Today being the 15th of July, 2020, there was a report at Aguata Police Station by one Bernard Ezeuboaja ‘m’ of Umuchiana village, Ekwulobia in Anambra State that on the same date at about 9:am, he discovered that his wife, one Obiageli Ezeuboaja ‘f’ aged 65 years and her house boy one Chikamso ‘m’ surname unknown, aged about 12 years, never woke up from sleep since the previous night.
“As a result, he opened the door and discovered their lifeless bodies,” the PPRO said.
According to him, following the report, Police detectives attached to Aguata division visited the scene and rushed victims to the hospital for medical attention but they were all certified death on arrival by a medical doctor.
Mohammed said preliminary investigation revealed that the deceased set a charcoal fire in order to warm the room due to cold weather, leaving all the windows closed and without ventilation.
He said the charcoal container was recovered as exhibit while the corpses have been deposited at Ekwulobia hospital mortuary for autopsy while the investigation is ongoing to ascertain circumstances surrounding the incident.