A spouse can sue for heavy monetary damages when the other spouse commits adultery or cheats.

Victor Opatola

Victor Opatola

  • Opatola Victor, Esq.



I was at Court of Appeals recently for a matter, a separate matter was heard before mine.

The matter was about a wife claiming 2 million Naira for husband’s adultery.

She sue’s both the husband and the lady he committed adultery with.

The trial Court held in her favour.

The husband married the wife(Mrs A) under the Act.

The husband after a few years abandoned the wife and impregnated another lady (Lady B).

The child born out of wedlock (by Lady B) bears the man’s name and the man lives with lady B.

The wife( Mrs A) sued the husband for desolution of marriage and adultery, and also sued lady B along.

The court decided in the the wife’s favour and ordered the wife (Mrs. A) be paid the sum of 2 million Naira as damages for adultery.

See section 31 matrimonial causes Act.


If the act of adultery happened more than three years before suing in Court, the court will not grant it.

Where the act of adultery is a continuous one, the three year rule above ‘may’ not apply.

If the party claiming that the other party has committed adultery has actually condoned the act at any point, the claim for damages will not hold.

Our motto is: ‘We stand for the truth, irrespective of who tells it’. Driven by this philosophy, our aim has been to create a platform where every voice, every narrative – provided they are decently expressed –  is allowed expression. Our belief is that by promoting unfettered competition of ideas, the truth will eventually emerge. Obviously, doing this while resisting any temptation to be captured by any special interest or tendency makes survival as an online newspaper more challenging. This is why we will appreciate any support from our readers:

Bank details:

Account Name: The News Chronicle
Bank: UBA
Account No.: 1022603956 (Naira)

Domiciliary Account  – dollar-denominated:
Bank:  UBA
Account Number: 3002835294 ($)

Please email details of your bank transfer to: publisher@thenews-chronicle.com or send them by WhatsApp to: 07058078841

Professor Jideofor Adibe


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Posts


What's New?