802 views | Emmanuel Anthony | March 8, 2020
About 70 people have been trapped after a hotel being used as a coronavirus quarantine facility in the Chinese city of Quanzhou collapsed.
About 35 people have been pulled from the rubble of the five-storey Xinjia Hotel, officials say.
Videos posted online show emergency workers combing through the building’s wreckage in the southern province of Fujian.
It is not clear what caused the collapse or if anyone has died.
It happened at about 19:30 local time (11:30 GMT) yesterday.
Chinese state media said the hotel was being used as a quarantine facility monitoring people who had had close contact with coronavirus patients.
The hotel reportedly opened in 2018 and had 80 guest rooms.
One woman told the Beijing News website that relatives including her sister had been under quarantine there.
“I can’t contact them, they’re not answering their phones,” she said.
“I’m under quarantine too [at another hotel] and I’m very worried, I don’t know what to do. They were healthy, they took their temperatures every day, and the tests showed that everything was normal.”